Great Ideas for Converted Barn Homes
Life on the “farm” looks a whole lot different than it used to! The farmhouse trend, made popular home remodeling TV shows, is all the rage these days.
Why stop at shiplap? Take this trend one step further by converting a barn itself into a beautiful home for your family. Are you up for the challenge?
Features to preserve
One way or another, you’ve acquired a barn, and that’s something to celebrate! It’s not exactly “move-in ready,” but the possibilities are endless, and the journey ahead is exciting. There’s a charm unique to converted barn homes that will ensure your home stands out. Don’t ditch them – preserve them and embrace them!
First things first, take a look around. When determining how to get started, here are some architectural features you may decide to preserve:
- Exposed beams
- Original sliding doors
- Polished concrete floors
- High ceilings
- Loft living space
When you’re converting your barn, it’s likely you’ll need to make some major changes. These might include:
- Adding windows and insulation
- Fixing structural or foundation concerns
- Repairing holes in the roof
- Restoring or replacing older wood
- Installing new flooring, plumbing, electrical and other systems
Don’t worry! These are opportunities to create a style you’ll love for years to come, not signs to stop the journey. Check out these ideas for functional barn updates.
- Install plumbing, electricity and an HVAC system. These systems are intricate, so when in doubt, call on a professional!
- Eliminate any lingering odors and get to the source of them with this guide.
- Repair any wood damaged by termites, ants and other insects.
- Compare pros and cons of gas and wood fireplaces and make the right choice for your home.
- Let the sunlight in by installing large, double pane windows.
Ready to turn a beautiful barn into a home for your family? Our family of trusted home service professionals are ready to help you take some of the first steps. Visit our home page to explore our brands and schedule service.