How to Prepare for a Home Appraisal
It’s easy for your mind to linger in the “what’s next” when selling your home, but you can’t afford to forget about your current space. In fact, to get the best assessment of your property’s value, you may have to put in a little work before you go.
If you’re in the buying/selling state of mind, it’s time to put your home’s “best foot forward!” Prepare for the appraisal by completing these whole-house “to-dos.”
Tackle These Necessary “To-Dos”
- Power wash your windows, driveway, sidewalk, and siding for a refreshed, clean exterior.
- Refresh peeling paint, both indoors and out! Choose neutral colours for walls, trim, siding, and doors to appeal to all kinds of home buyers.
- Examine your home’s exterior for loose or rotten wood. Fix that loose board on the deck to improve the overall safety and aesthetic of the space!
- Ditch dying (and therefore dangerous) trees. Remove any stumps or unnecessary brush.
- Plant flowers, trim shrubs, and mow the grass. Give a professional a call and call it done!
- Ensure all safety devices are installed and in working order. This includes your smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, and home security systems.
- Deep clean your carpets. If you’re looking to save where possible, this is the cheaper solution to replacing altogether.
- Evaluate windows to ensure they’re efficient and in working order. If any are cracked or broken, now’s the time to fix them.
- Ensure your electrical system is safe and up to code. For example, if you still have two-prong outlets, now is the time to replace those!
- Finish your “to-dos” with a deep clean of your house. This will indicate your attention to detail and whole-house care.
“Welcome, Mr. Appraiser!” Show off your home with pride by tackling these “to dos” before your appointment.
Our Neighbourly brands are committed to repairing, maintaining, and enhancing your home – whether it’s yours for four more weeks or four more years. Explore our entire family of home service experts at Neighborly.com/ca.