Senior living doesn’t have to mean life at an assisted living facility or constant in-home care.
Help your loved one(s) live their golden years comfortably, confidently and safely by taking the necessary steps to safely prepare their home.
- Complete a whole-home audit and note any potential safety hazards.
- Keep emergency contact numbers next to the phone. This includes 911, healthcare professionals, poison control, a trusted neighbor, and loved ones.
- Secure rugs to the floor or opt to remove them altogether.
- Install safety handles, non-skid mats, a shower chair, and a handheld shower head in the bathroom.
- Limit the water heater thermostat to 120 degrees to prevent scalding.
- Encourage the use of a cane or walker if needed, even at home.
- Keep staircases and high-traffic areas clear of clutter.
- Simplify your spaces by decluttering and getting rid of unnecessary items/furniture.
- Deep clean the home and maintain with regular cleanings.
- Never smoke alone or in bed.
- Place fire extinguishers on every level of the home and ensure the senior knows how to operate.
- Install motion-sensor lights inside and outside.
- Purchase a medical alert device in case of injury and inability to use the phone.
- Widen doorways and hallways with the help of a professional handyman.
- Evaluate existing appliances and make safer/more convenient upgrades where necessary.
- Raise electrical outlets to make more accessible.
- Replace doorknobs with levers to make opening doors easier.
- Fix uneven exterior walkways, like troublesome sidewalks, porches, or decks.
- Remove tree stumps and other trip hazards from landscaping.
- Brighten indoor spaces by installing additional windows and purchasing better bulbs.
- Ensure someone checks on your loved one daily, or more, as needed.
At Neighborly, we want homeowners to be safe at home at every stage of their lives. Need a trusted professional to assist with any item on this checklist? Visit our home page to explore our entire family of home service brands and to schedule service with a local pro.