The Kitchen Remodel Planning Guide
If you’re researching how to plan a kitchen remodel, you probably already know this project is one of the best ways to increase the value of your home. So, pat yourself on the back for taking the first steps to enhance the value, functionality, and beauty of what is likely the most used space in your home.
When you start to factor in the time, money, and energy involved in a kitchen remodel, you may begin to have second thoughts and wonder, “Is a kitchen remodel worth it?” But don’t let these doubts discourage you from moving forward. We’ll show you how to plan a kitchen remodel that provides the results you want while keeping you on time and budget.
How to Plan a Kitchen Remodel
Poor planning is one of the most common reasons why many remodeling projects go over schedule, over budget, and fall short of expectations. Following these tips for planning a kitchen remodel can help you get the results you want without the headaches associated with a major remodel:
- Identify your kitchen remodeling goals. Make a list of what you want, including design features, new appliances, and a completion date for each phase of the project. Research design and kitchen organization and storage ideas to get some fresh inspiration for your kitchen remodel.
- Create a budget for the project. Determine how much you’re willing to spend on your remodel. Painting kitchen cabinets is one of the most affordable ways to revive your kitchen, but purchasing all-new kitchen lighting or installing new plumbing requires a larger investment. By setting your budget before you begin, you can minimize surprises along the way.
- Select your kitchen design aesthetic and color palette. Set up a general color range and then rely on experts to help you choose cabinet and wall colors that are cohesive with your new kitchen and overall home design. Before you start the remodel, decide if you’d like to make additional upgrades, such as adding glass to your kitchen cabinet doors.
- Plan the project logistics. A kitchen renovation involves a lot of moving parts, such as estimating shipping times and coordinating contractors. Map out the specifics now to keep your project on track. Although you can’t control things like shipping delays, selecting between a custom or standard item can impact how long it takes to complete your remodel. If you’re choosing custom features like a sheet-glass backsplash, it’s important to get accurate countertop and cabinet measurements in advance. Doing so will ensure picture-perfect results and prevent installation problems and delays.
- Prepare for obstacles. If possible, determine whether your new kitchen appliances will overload your gas lines or electrical system before purchasing them. If you still want to move forward with a model that doesn’t quite work for your existing infrastructure, reach out to a plumbing and/or electrical professional for advice on gas line replacement and installation services or kitchen lighting upgrades. Do you need to install a kitchen exhaust fan? Make sure you know the dos and don’ts of exhaust fan installation. Taking a proactive approach will minimize surprises and headaches throughout the process.
- Create a project timeline. Once you know all the changes you want to make, create a realistic timeline to cover all tasks in a logical order. Generally, it takes a little over a month to remodel a kitchen, but your timeline may vary. Be sure to include when to order specific materials and appliances on your timeline to track important milestones.
Design Inspiration for Your New Kitchen
Whether you already have some kitchen design ideas or need some inspiration, here are some design planning tips to help you get started.
- Free up space in your new kitchen with genius storage solutions like a custom-built cutting board cabinet, pull-out pantries for dry goods, or hidden compartments on counters to hide small kitchen appliances.
- Explore the six key kitchen layout types to find the one that’s right for your kitchen. The galley layout offers space efficiency, while the classic L-shape layout gives you a continuous flow of cabinets and worktops.
- Today’s modern kitchen renovations are all about natural materials like quartz, granite, and solid wood. Mix and match materials to create your desired kitchen aesthetic.
- Achieve the exact look and functionality you want in your kitchen cabinets by turning to Mr. Handyman for custom cabinet services.
Kitchen Remodel Planning FAQs
Some of the most complicated aspects of planning a kitchen remodel include time, money, and permits. Get the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions to simplify your planning process.
How Long Does a Kitchen Remodel Take?
Most kitchen remodeling projects can take anywhere from six weeks to four months or longer, depending on the extent of the remodel. Several variables may impact the duration of the project, including kitchen size, customization, supply chains, and the contractor(s) you choose.
Do I Need a Permit to Remodel My Kitchen?
Whether or not you need a permit for your kitchen remodel depends on what you’re remodeling and where you live. Most localities require permits for remodeling projects involving plumbing, natural gas, or electrical work. Permits are usually required to ensure the work is done safely by licensed professionals and that it meets local building code requirements.
How Much Can a Kitchen Remodel Cost?
Kitchen remodeling costs can vary greatly, depending on the scope of the remodel, the design, materials, appliances you choose, and the professionals you hire to complete the work. To best estimate the costs, use this Kitchen Remodel Checklist to plan and budget your kitchen remodel.
Rely on Neighborly for Help Planning and Executing Your Kitchen Remodel
While planning a kitchen remodel can feel a little overwhelming, knowing you have a solid action plan can put your mind at ease. Effective planning gets your ideas out of your head and into a more organized state, allowing you to focus on doing rather than thinking.
It’s also important to hire the right professionals to do the job. Choosing the right people to come into your home and complete a project can make your kitchen remodel a much smoother experience.
Neighborly offers homeowners a range of trusted home service professionals who know how to get the job done right. From electrical and plumbing to painting and carpentry, we handle it all, ensuring that your remodeling project goes according to plan. To learn more about the variety of services we offer, call us at 855.217.8437.