Inexpensive Ways to Increase a Home’s Value
This time of year, many people are considering a move. Whether or not you’re looking to sell your home in the near future, you’re probably looking for ways to increase your property value. However, home renovations beg the question, “Is this really going to pay off for me in the long run?”
Our take on the matter? Not all home renovations will give you a great return on your investment (read a blog from Mr. Handyman). Here are some pointers about which projects to invest in and which to pass on, especially if you’re putting your house on the market soon!
Smart Home Renovations
When you’re looking to increase your home’s value, especially when selling is top of mind, it’s important to make “evergreen” decisions. What do we mean by this? There are home renovations that won’t break the bank and will appeal to most families looking to purchase a home. For example, you might love a bright orange wall for a game room, but that might deter a homebuyer who couldn’t envision themselves in that space.
Here is a sample list of inexpensive renovations that will add value to your home:
- Lay fresh mulch and plant colorful flowers. (The Grounds Guys can help!)
- Install new kitchen countertops. Granite and stone countertops are always a hit.
- Invest in smart thermostats. (Aire Serv has great advice on choosing a smart thermostat!)
- Dress your walls in fresh, neutral paint. (Five Star Painting can neutralize that orange wall!)
- Install new ceiling fans. Replacing your wobbly, brass fan will make your room feel more expensive.
Also, consider these sure-fire ways to increase the aesthetic appeal of your home to help potential buyers envision themselves in the space:
- Clear out your clutter. Getting rid of unnecessary “stuff” helps people envision their own belongings in your space. Check out our advice on “Keep,” “Toss” and “Donate” piles!
- Your closet is a great place to begin, and we have a great resource to help you organize your closet space.
- You might consider “staging” your home differently than you normally would for the sole purpose of attracting guests. Enlist the professionals at Molly Maid to give your home a sparkly finish!
- You can’t go wrong with any kitchen or bathroom renovations. Even updating fixtures as drawer pulls and faucets can go a long way! Mr. Rooter can help with this job.
What Not to Do
“Building that outdoor shower could only increase my home’s value… right?” Hmm, probably not. Check out this list of common renovations that you might want to avoid when it’s time to sell.
- Home theaters
- Swimming pools
- Outdoor showers
- New carpet
- Bedroom-to-Home-Gym conversions
- Bold wall colors
Note: This shouldn’t detract you from making any of these improvements if they matter to you and your family! What matters most is that you enjoy them while you live in the home. However, if you’re looking to create greater appeal to the everyday home buyer, we recommend taking caution when investing in these projects.
Ready to build equity? Using this guide, you can ensure you’re making the best investment for your family and home.
Are you ready to get started on your home renovation projects? We have professionals who can help you consider options and get the work done. Explore Neighborly, our community of service experts, to find a provider in your area!