Getting Ready for Fall: Home and Lifestyle Tips
Autumn is just around the corner. Besides eating pumpkin bread and going apple picking, what should be on your to-do list as you’re getting ready for fall? We’re sharing our best advice for preparing yourself, your family and your home for a marvelous season.
Set the Mood
Even if you already have a long list of tasks, start by embracing the fall spirit. These ideas will fuel your motivation to get the chores done:
- Check out local events and gatherings. Many cities host fall events, such as drive-in movies and craft fairs for people of all ages.
- Spruce up your home with autumn-inspired decor. Now is the time to add warm hues, cozy blankets and other fall pieces throughout your home. Cornucopia centerpieces? Why not!
- Take up gardening. In many climates, you can plant garlic, blueberries and radishes in autumn. Additionally, most flower bulbs should be planted in fall. Before you get started, hire a trusted landscaper like The Grounds Guys® for fall yard cleanup.
- Get some fresh air. Colder temperatures don’t mean you should become a couch potato. The more you move around, the better your emotional well-being. So take the family for a bike ride, or pick the perfect pumpkin.
- Set some goals for yourself. Getting your home ready for fall doesn’t mean doing everything at once. Choose a few items to check off your list each week.
Fundamental Fall Home Tips
Now that you feel excited about falling leaves and chilly breezes, it’s time to focus on getting your home ready for fall. Seasonal maintenance is a must. No one wants to wake up to a broken furnace or frozen pipes.
Here are our top fall home tips:
Prepare for Freezing Weather
When autumn rolls around, many homeowners are preparing for the first freeze. Make sure your attic is well insulated and properly vented. Add weather stripping around your doors and windows, if necessary. Stow away your garden hose and bicycles.
Next, protect your outdoor faucets from freezing. These tips from Mr. Rooter® will help ensure your pipes don’t freeze and burst this season.
Get the Furnace Ready
There’s nothing more relaxing than sipping apple cider and reading a book during the fall months – if your house is warm. How do you know if your furnace is cold weather-ready?
These guidelines from Aire Serv® will help you get your furnace ready. While you’re at it, be sure to schedule seasonal service for your HVAC system.
Fire Safety First
Fireplaces and wood stoves are the epitomes of autumn. The sound of crackling logs is enough to put anyone in the fall mood. But dirty chimneys are a fire hazard. Before you light a fire, check this guide from Rainbow International® to see if it’s time to clean your chimney.
Walk the Perimeter
Walk around your house to make sure your drainage system and windows are in good condition. Autumn is the ideal time to schedule gutter cleaning and window washing services.
Strike a Balance Between Fun and Chores
Getting ready for fall involves much more than buffalo plaid and pumpkin spice lattes. But with a little planning and some help from Neighbourly® home service providers, you can prepare both your mind and your house for whatever autumn has in store. Search through our extensive home services to connect with trustworthy, local professionals.